The American Neuromuscular Foundation offers development grants intended as seed money to help launch research into muscle and nerve disorders by promising new researchers. Research that addresses quality issues is encouraged. Applications should directly relate to a muscle and nerve disorder covered by the AANEM.
Development Grant Benefits
- Up to $50,000 for up to 2 years (total award $100,000 including indirect costs)
- Complimentary AANEM membership and a subscription to Muscle & Nerve during the duration of your project
- Complimentary AANEM Annual Meeting registration the year your research is presented
- $1,500 travel award to attend and present your research findings at the AANEM Annual Meeting following completion of your research
EligibilityTo be eligible for a development grant, applicants must:
- Hold a Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Science (DSc), or equivalent degree (eg. DO);
- Be a member of a research team at an appropriate institution;
- Be qualified to conduct a program of original research under the supervision of an Independent Investigator;
- Have an acceptable research plan for a specific muscle and nerve disease listed
- Have access to institutional resources necessary to conduct the proposed research project;
- Have a minimum of eighteen (18) months of post-degree research laboratory training at the time of application;
- For PhD or DSc applicants: Be engaged in post-doctoral fellowship or be no more than 60 months from receiving their PhD
- For MD or DO applicants: Be engaged in a residency or fellowship, or be no more than 60 months from completion of their residency or fellowship.
All applications are reviewed by the Foundation Research Committee. Recommendations are brought to the Foundation Board for approval.