Mid-Career/Established Investigator Research Grant Award
The foundation offers mid-career grants intended as seed money to help launch exploratory and high-risk, high-reward research into muscle and nerve disorders by mid-career or established researchers. Applications should directly relate to a muscle and nerve disorder covered by the AANEM.
- Exploratory, novel studies that break new ground or extend previous discoveries toward new directions or applications.
- High risk high reward studies that may lead to a breakthrough in a particular area, or result in novel techniques, agents, methodologies, models or applications that will impact biomedical, behavioral, or clinical research.
- Require a high degree of innovation.
- Project overlap, whether scientific, budgetary, or commitment of an individual's effort greater than 100 percent, is not permitted.
- Up to $50,000 for up to 2 years (total award $100,000 including indirect costs)
- Complimentary AANEM membership and a subscription to Muscle & Nerve during the duration of your project
- Complimentary AANEM Annual Meeting registration the year your research is presented
- $1,500 travel award to attend and present your research findings at the AANEM Annual Meeting following completion of your research
EligibilityTo be eligible for a development grant, applicants must:
- Hold a Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Science (DSc), or equivalent degree (eg. DO).
- Have a minimum of eight years of post-degree experience at the time of application.
- Be a member of a research team at an appropriate institution.
- Be qualified to conduct a program as an Independent Investigator.
- Have an acceptable research plan for a specific muscle and nerve disease listed.
- Have access to institutional resources necessary to conduct the proposed research project.
All applications are reviewed by the Foundation Research Committee. Recommendations are brought to the Foundation Board for approval.